Introduction to Merchandising
Learn the key principles of product performance in store
This is a comprehensive one-day course covering all aspects of merchandising and display in modern retail.
It will give you a thorough understanding of merchandising, its practical application and the different roles of an operational merchandiser.
You will start with the basics but will go on to explore your agility in store and, more importantly, how to bring excitement to stores.
Our best practices are based on Parisian fashion references.
A theoretical introduction based on different successful textbook cases of department store environments.
During this first part of the day, the trainer will use different learning techniques (games) and focused case studies based on the documents provided by participants before the training course.
The second part of the day will be dedicated to bespoke workshops. Throughout these exercises the participants will be required to engage in group discussion. Each team will do a self-assessed exercise on a particular topic with the aim of finding practical and realistic solutions.
After the course, participants will be able to apply their newly-acquired knowledge in their day-to-day practice.
There are two workshops for this course:
- Understanding product assortment
- Reconciling product assortment and merchandising practices
- What is specific about merchandising for a department store, beyond good visual merchandising: key responsibilities of the merchandiser; key skills required; aims and objectives
- Learn how to take ownership of a merchandising chart from headquarters and how to translate it into an operational perspective
- Master main merchandising principles, tips, and best practices to organise your offer: vertical, horizontal, others. Identify which ones are effective in your department store and why they are essential to your brand identity
- Recognise your range of merchandising fixtures and tools, and learn their uses. Identify which one is missing to optimise product visibility, to create emotional experience and to increase sales numbers of your products
- Learn how to introduce old stock in a new collection, how to manage product rotation, and create an opportunity to generate more sales
- Understand the importance of signage and the logic behind customer reading
- Understand customer behaviour and buying motivations
- Learn how to interpret KPIs and define a corrective merchandising action plan in store
If you wish to develop your merchandising skills, then this course is perfect for you:
- Beginner merchandisers
- Visual merchandisers who want to upgrade their knowledge
- Sales associates with merchandising responsibilities
- Any associate who needs to cooperate with the merchandising team
On successful completion of this course you can progress to more advanced courses:
“DEVELOP YOUR MERCHANDISING STRATEGY” – 1 day training
“IMPLEMENTING EFFECTIVE MERCHANDISING” – 1 day training
You will acquire or improve your skills and achieve a higher degree of autonomy.
You will become more confident in sharing your views and ideas on the optimisation of the shop floor layout.
You will significantly increase your productivity and, more importantly, boost your credibility as a professional in your area of expertise and beyond.
All classes are taught in English. Applicants whose first language is not English must have an excellent command of this language, in order to be able to participate in group discussions and understand presentations in English.
Four weeks prior to the course, all participants will be asked to send documents, guides and photos used in their company.
Based on their documents, they will learn, in group discussions, to identify shortcomings or bottlenecks in order to improve their practices.
All course evaluations are based on self-assessment.
Session will be communicated on demand.